Thursday, August 5, 2010

Bedford, PA to Gettysburg, PA

Hooray, this is our final exam and I passed. With 102 miles to go and the weather getting hotter, we had breakfast a 5:30 am. Since my team was on setup, I was awake a 4 am. We ate in the dark and were on the road by 6 am. The sun was just peeking over the mountains. We followed the PA bicycle route for most of the day. It took us up and down the mountains and then the steep climbs flattened out to long rolling hills. At mile 51 we were in the Cowans Gap State Park where 2008 big ride alumni Tony provided a wonderful cookout lunch. Usually I don't eat big meals when I ride but I ate everything I could find. Thanks so much Tony. By 2:10 pm the temperature was 91 degrees and high humidity. I was soaked to the bone from sweating. Everything I drink comes out as sweat.



At camp my sister Diane and her husband Tom were there waiting with cold water, beer, watermelon, pretzels and cookies. I think the cold water was the biggest hit. We're staying in a hotel so Tom dried out my tent and then we headed out. That evening we went to the Farnsworth Inn for dinner. We all had prime rib and it was great. We were going to walk around town but a big thunderstorm blew through. Back at the hotel we(they also helped me since I was so tired) did laundry, the last time I need to do it on this trip. After a good night sleep we plan to be tourists. I figure this will be the only time that I'm in Gettysburg and I best see it now.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats Jan! Saturday we change from "Ride Jan Ride" to "Stop Jan Stop". Way to go!

    Jerry L - CU soon at CSYC

    ReplyDelete