Sunday, August 8, 2010

Final Day!


We woke up to a beautiful morning in Poolesville, MD with only 42 more miles left of our journey. Being a short day, we had our last standup breakfast at the truck at 7am. The morning was cool and the roads in the beginning were shady. As we got closer to Washington, DC the traffic became busier and then we were directed to the Capital Crescent Trail, a rails to trail path. That was packed with people walking, jogging, biking or skating. Upon leaving that trail we went by the Watergate Hotel, the Kennedy Center and the Lincoln Memorial. Our next stop was the Old Post Office Pavillion where we had our final lunch together at Big Rider Alumni Costas Poppas from 1998 Greek Taverna. Thanks so much. It was a wonderful meal that held me over until I got home. Lots of hugs and photos were exchanged at that time.

At noon we were outside ready to ride to the finish at Henry Bacon Park in the National Mall. We were sent off in pairs about 30 seconds apart. I rode with Brad. With all the security now days the finish was kept low key at the park. When I arrived my siblings were there, Diane and Tom and Dave and Rhea along with Diane's friends. Diane made a sign for me that we used to take a final group picture with. Emotions were running high for us. After the congratulations and pictures we went to the truck for the final unloading of our bags. Within half an hour I was on the road with Dave and Rhea headed home. Eleven hours after this 48 day event I was home. I can't believe it and I have to ask myself if it really happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment