Monday, July 26, 2010

Belvidere-Coal City-Valparaiso-Kendallville

Well, first of all my iphone is dead so I won't be sending daily updates unless I can get to a public library like I am now.

We had some stormy weather for a couple of days and even though I had my phone in double baggies in my rain jacket, it still got wet. It rained again at night in Belvidere and we started the day in rain for about 50 miles. The roads were flooded several times and in some places the water was flowing like a river over the road. It was a strange feeling to be riding through it. After the rains, the weather got hot and humid and the wind picked up. Unfortunately it's been a headwind. We arrived at Coal City and it was HOT, one of those nights where you lie in the tent just trying to fall asleep. Then the rains started again. So for two nights I didn't get much sleep. Good thing the rain stopped by the time we got up and off to Valparaiso, another day of headwinds.

My sister Sue was waiting for me at Valpo. First things first, dry out the tent and do laundry. Everything was damp and stinky. After that and a nice shower we went to dinner at a local place. We figured it must be good because the parking lot was full and it was. Thanks for coming Sue.

Today we rode 105 miles to Kendallville in another headwind. I thought the winds are usually westerly but they've been more NE. The weather was good and the ride was long. I'm at the point where I'm counting down the days for the trip to be over. It's a great experience but something I only need to do once. I'm off to camp now for a shower. I looked at the time and realized we crossed into another timezone so we lost an hour and it's later than I thought.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jan - I am vicariously enjoying your trip. I thought it was a big deal riding my MB home from the gym in a storm!! Nothing like your adventure. Saw your Dad yesterday at the club - he is looking forward to seeing you Tuesday.

    Be safe!! Jerry

    ReplyDelete