Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day 17. Sheridan to Gillette, WY

This day is the longest mileage of the whole trip, 112 miles across rolling hills. This is a picture looking back at the big horn mountains as we head toward Gillette on route 14 all day. We finally saw the antelopes today. At mile 51 we had a stop at what used to be cafe and post office. All that's open now is the post office and it's in the middle of nowhere.

I rolled into Gillette 7.5 riding hours after I started at 6 am. It made for a long day. After one beer I was ready to pack it in.

Gillette is the "energy capital of the country" with a lot of coal mining. The trains are loaded with coal that goes all over the country. Trains are constantly going through these towns and the are always sounding their horns, even in the middle of the night. I'm at the point where I don't even hear them anymore, otherwise I'd never get to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment