Sunday, July 18, 2010

Rest day in New Ulm

Saturday was a rest day in New Ulm, MN. We stayed at the Martin Luther
College. It was super hot and the rooms didn't have A/C. I rode
around the town with Andy. Andy is making YouTube videos each day for
his 8th graders to watch. I caught up with him when he was
interviewing George, a New Ulm 80 yr old man who knew a lot about the
city. New Ulm is a German city and most of it's population is still
German. Back in 1862 there was an Indian war there that killed a lot
of whites and Indians however it was overshadowed by the civil war.

During the day I went to the Schell brewery with some friends. This
weekend was the German festival but I didn't go to it. Fellow rider
Sam won the saurkraut eating contest.

Since it was hot and I was tired I decided to go to church at the
cathedral which is what this picture is of. It took several years for
it to be built. The stained glass windows are beautiful and so is the
alter.

After mass I met Susan for dinner at a German restaurant. Since Susan
lived in Germany she knew what the food should taste like and said the
dinner was to Americanized. Oh well, it was a good meal that willl
get me throuh the night. Back to the hot dorm we went to get ready
for our ride to Owatonna.

No comments:

Post a Comment