Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day 28, New Ulm to Owatonna, MN

Here it is, I've pedalled half way across the country and now I end
up in a hockey rink.

Today's ride was pretty uneventful, just 72 more miles of pretty
good riding. The roads are getting busier as we head east.
Unfortunately the shoulder was bad for the last 15 miles at times and
there was quite a bit of traffic making things a bit unsafe but we all
survived.

We're staying at the fairgrounds. The last time I stayed at
fairgrounds we showered where the jockeys did along with all the horse
hair. This shower is pretty scary because it is dark and the floor is
squishy. Who knows what's on the shower floor. Surely shower shoes
are a must and then I hosed off my feet after I was outside. So as
you can see this ride is not all glitz and glamor.

Next to the fairgrounds is the hockey rink that I had to check out. I
remember all too well the wonderful memories of my sons' hockey
days. These little guys are so sweet.

Then we at dinner at the grocery store across the street. It's one of
those that has an all you can eat food bar and the food wasn't bad.
We're eating breakfast there tomorrow. One of the best things there
was the clean restrooms. It's amazing the simple pleasures that we
look forward to these days.

Tomorrow's a longer day with rain and a headwind in the forecast.
That means early to bed as we will be on the road by 6:30am.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jan, I am thinking of you often even though I have not written until today. It has been so hot and humid here and apparently you have had the same experience wherever you are. Riding is hard, hard with the wind and heat, for sure. I rode home from Holland on Saturday and had to stop and swim at Tunnel Park. I;ve never seen so many people at one beach. So the Port Huron Mac race is done again for a year for Jim and Thomas. they finished this a.m. Next weekend is Chicago/Mac. I am happy to stay home and swim and ride my bike. You must be in fantastic shape. I was thinking about you as I rode and was marveling at the shape your legs must be in. Keep up the good work. I'm enjoying your posts. I visited Shawn in the UP and we read your entries together.
    Bye. Hope you have a good ride today. Becca

    ReplyDelete