Friday, July 30, 2010

Kendallville, IN-Napoleon, OH-Sandusky-Burton,OH


These last few days completed our 7 day stretch of riding and now we're in Burton, OH for a rest day, a well deserved day off.

Riding to Napoleon was only 70 miles, a "walk in the park" day. We were done by noon so we met in town for a burger and beer. Finally I found a Labatt's Blue beer and I'm still looking for my perch dinner.

My parents, brothers and their wives came to visit me in Napoleon, OH. They brought some watermelon and cantaloupe that was immediately consumed. The cookies I saved and put out for lunch the next day. I think they were impressed by the way I live these days, in a tent with my laundry hanging from the fly of the tent. It's a way of life I've become accustomed to and only one more week of it before I get back to all the comforts of home. We went to dinner, they dropped me off and headed back home.

The next day was a hot, flat 87 miles to Sandusky, OH. We camped at the KOA by Cedar Point. Many riders went to Cedar Point Amusement Park. Brad, Chacko(who's from India and has been in AZ for about 7+ years) and I went to a beach instead. The only thing was the beach was another 8-9 miles away, each way. It was the first time Chacko had seen a Great Lake. The water was like bath water and after walking across super hot sand the water felt wonderful. We headed back towards camp and got dinner at a local restaurant that had perch, only it was frozen and I'm looking for fresh perch. I've been telling Chacko about perch dinners so he got the perch sandwich. I guess I'll have to wait until I'm home for my meal. Back at camp after another shower to wash off the Lake Erie water I climbed into my tent only to have it rain again. Wouldn't you know it my tent had a little leak where the fly wasn't pulled tight. I had to shift everything around in it so I could sleep without being rained on. Between the heat, humidity and the rain my sheets were damp. Good thing one more day until I can do some laundry.

Continuing on to Burton we started the 92 mile day along Lake Erie and through Cleveland. That part of the ride was nice and flat. The weather was cooler than yesterday with a north wind off the lake. In Cleveland Brad, Su, George and I stopped by the Botanical Gardens. We only spent an hour there and saw the Glasshouse exhibit which included a Costa Rica rainforest and a spiney forest from Madagascar. East of Cleveland the hills started again. Thirty more miles of hills and then a rest day, hooray!

When I arrived in Burton I had a wonderful surprise. My friend Ann Walton came to visit me and had a room at a B&B. What a treat. I slept 9 hours, first time in a long time. The host made a fantastic breakfast of sausage and french toast. Everything was too good to be true. Then we went on a buggy ride with an Amish family. Very interesting way of life they lead. After we came back to Burton, had lunch then Ann headed home. Thanks for the great time Ann.

The Burton library is closing now so I'm signing off. Next rest day is Gettysburg and I'll see my sister Diane and her husband Tom. See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment