Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Pierre to Miller SD

Today was a long 75 miles across US 14 with a stiff SE headwind. The road was long, straight and flat. The scenery was farmland as in the picture. Fortunately the grasshoppers were left behind west of the Missouri River and now we had little frogs on the road. At least they weren't jumping in our face.

The first checkpoint was at 20 miles and I quickly refilled my water bottles because I wanted to keep plugging away. The next stop was at the 50 mile mark in Highmore. It took a while to get there with the wind and I was almost out of fluids. Out here you don't waste your water because there's no place to get more. We had lunch at the bowling alley-cafe-bar in Highmore. Most of us riders stopped there and I think we overwhelmed the place. 25 extra people all at once.

After lunch there was only 25 miles left and the wind did die down a little bit, enough to notice and ride a little faster. We arrived at Miller and I was craving ice cream so I asked a local women. It's at the soda fountain in the Rexall drugs, so small town.

For dinner we went back into town and ate at a recommended place that was ok, nothing to write home about. It's all part of Americana. Aren't we lucky to be able to experience this?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment